How to Clean Squid (Calamari)
By Renee Shelton
- Rinse the squid in cold water.
- Hold the tentacles firmly at the base and pull from the body. Alternately, cut the tentacles first by making a clean cut, then remove the head from the body.
- Remove the hard mouth, or 'beak', and discard.
- Slip your fingers in the body pouch and discard entrails. Pull out the quill.
- Skin the pouch by pulling on the outer skin. The result is a white, edible pouch that can be cut into rings or stuffed, and the edible tenticles.
Shelton is the owner of this site, runs the fishing chef blog, and is the Fishing Editor for the 2nd largest women's website on the internet, BellaOnline.com. Keep up with her at her blog Sand and Succotash. Her book Basic Fish Cooking Methods: A No Frills Guide for Preparing Fresh Fish is available on Amazon.
This article was written by Renee Shelton for FishingChef.com, and is protected by Copyscape.
Please write for permission to use this article for distribution in
company newsletters, for commercial usage, or for using in other websites.
To properly credit or cite this site, use this citation:
Shelton, Renee. "How to Clean and Prep Squid." FishingChef.com. Fishing Chef. 31 January, 2012. Web. (Enter the date here that you accessed this article).
Fishing 'How's It Done' created by Fishing & Food Editor, Renee Shelton.